- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 bacon slices (optional)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 (12-ounce) packages frozen butternut squash, thawed - I've never been able to find this, so I just bake 1-2 butternut squash (~3 lbs)
- 1 (32-ounce) container low-sodium, fat-free vegetable broth
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Garnishes: sour cream, ground red pepper
- Cook bacon slices in a Dutch oven until crisp. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- Sauté onion and carrots in hot bacon drippings in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add celery and apple, and sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic, and sauté 30 seconds. Add butternut squash and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Process squash mixture, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Return to Dutch oven. Add lime juice and next 7 ingredients. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until thickened. Top with crumbled bacon. Garnish, if desired.
NotesThis is one of my absolute favorite recipes to make in the fall and winter.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and AppetisersSee More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More