- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 6 to 8
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Quarter cup of olive oil
- 1/2 T. butter
- 1 onion diced
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 cup cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 2 potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth. More can be added if you think soup is too thick
- 1 cooked Butternut squash, scooped out of skin
- 1 can Ci Ci beans (chick peas)
- 4 oz. Canadian bacon***Pancetta or Prosciutto
- 1 bundle fresh thyme and rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes
- Cut butternut squash in half and remove seeds. Place cut side down on parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake at 350 till soft. Scoop out all of the pulp from the skin.
- Heat oil in 1.5 quart Dutch oven on medium heat.
- Add onions and celery, saute till softened.
- Add cauliflower, carrots, and potatoes and saute 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add drained Ci Ci beans.
- Add bouquet garni of herbs and bayleaf.
- Stir in chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the squash, simmer a little longer.
- Season with salt and pepper and add hot pepper flakes to taste.
- In a small skillet heat the butter and add the chopped Canadian bacon. (you can use Pancetta also)
- Add the bacon to the soup, cover and simmer about 15 minutes or till vegetables are really tender.
- Remove herbs and bay leaf
- Use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree the soup. Do it in small batches in regular blender.
- If you think it is too thick, add more chicken stock.
- Serve with herb seasoned croutons.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More