- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- ¾ pound dried elbow macaroni
- ½ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9- x 13-inch casserole dish; set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add squash, coconut milk, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in sage and simmer 1 minute more. (This part can be made ahead, up to 1 day in advance.)
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until tender but still firm, about 8 minutes. Rinse in cold water, drain well and transfer to a large bowl. Transfer squash mixture to bowl with macaroni. Add walnuts, salt and pepper and toss to combine. Transfer to prepared dish and top with bread crumbs. Bake until just golden brown and hot throughout, about 30 minutes.
NotesCoconut milk is the unexpected, rich and delicious ingredient in this creamy casserole main dish. Substitute pecans for the walnuts, if desired.
Per serving (about 10oz/291g-wt.): 430 calories (170 from fat), 19g total fat, 9g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 210mg sodium, 54g total carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 11g protein
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Baked Potato Soup
Spicy Chicken Schnitzel and Bacon BaguetteSee More