- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups hot milk
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose or cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Combine 1 cup brown sugar, butter and 1/4 cup milk in a saucepan. Cook to 250 degrees, or until a small amount forms a hard ball in cold water. Stir constantly after the mixture starts to boil. Remove from heat and gradually stir in 11/4 cups hot milk. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine vegetable shortening, salt and vanilla. Gradually add 3/4 cup brown sugar. Cream until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs until light. Gradually add to the creamed mixture, beating thoroughly.
- Combine flour and baking powder. Add small amounts of flour mixture to the creamed mixture, alternating with the cooled butterscotch mixture, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Pour batter into a 10- by 10- by 2-inch pan greased with vegetable shortening. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes. Spread with butterscotch icing on top and sides.
- Makes about 12 servings.
NotesReally good cake! I like to replace the shortening with butter in the icing recipe.
from: The Arizona Republic
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
Recipes for VitalitySee More
Peppermint Crumb Squares
Chicken with Green Olives
Festive Candied YamsSee More