- Cooking Time: 30 minutes + cooling
- Servings: 30 servings
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
BackstoryI love making this classic butterscotch recipe. We think these irresistible candies are better than the store-bought variety...and they sure don't last long!
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside. Cube remaining butter and set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat without stirring. Cook, uncovered, until a candy thermometer reads 270° (soft-crack stage). Add the honey, salt and remaining butter; stir constantly until the mixture reaches 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the rum extract. Pour into prepared pan without scraping; do not spread. Cool for 1-2 minutes or until the candy is almost set. Score into 1-in. squares; cool completely. Break squares apart. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1-1/2 pounds.