- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, shortening, egg, salt and 1 cup of flour. beat until smooth. stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Dip the balls in butter and arrange evenly in a greased 9-in. fluted tube pan. Drizzle with remaining butter.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter.
- Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf.
NotesThis was published in TOH years ago, and it remains a family favorite at my house. Its simple and delicious!! Enjoy!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake
The Best Baked Potato SoupSee More