- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, shortening, egg, salt and 1 cup of flour. beat until smooth. stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. Dip the balls in butter and arrange evenly in a greased 9-in. fluted tube pan. Drizzle with remaining butter.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter.
- Serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf.
NotesThis was published in TOH years ago, and it remains a family favorite at my house. Its simple and delicious!! Enjoy!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
Paul's Food World Volume 1See More
Calzone de Gen aux épinards (ou bette à carde/chou frisé)
Chocolate Drizzled Lemon and Almond BiscottiSee More