- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3 cups warm water (105°-115° F.)
- 2/3 cup powdered milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 1/2-6 cups all-purpose flour
- Glaze: 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir powdered milk, melted butter, wheat germ, and salt into yeast mixture.
- Using a heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and set on low speed, beat in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until a soft dough forms.
- On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, 5 to 10 minutes, adding more flour to prevent sticking. Place dough in a large greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover loosely with a damp cloth; let rise in a warm place until doubled, 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Divide in half. Roll each dough half into a long rope. Cut each rope into 12 equal pieces. Shape each piece into an oval. Place rolls, touching each other, on 2 ungreased baking sheets. Brush with melted butter. Cover again; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Bake loaves until golden, 20 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook CafeSee More
Hot Artichoke Dip
Lemon Streusel MuffinsSee More