- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 3 cups warm water (105°-115° F.)
- 2/3 cup powdered milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 1/2-6 cups all-purpose flour
- Glaze: 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir powdered milk, melted butter, wheat germ, and salt into yeast mixture.
- Using a heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and set on low speed, beat in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until a soft dough forms.
- On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, 5 to 10 minutes, adding more flour to prevent sticking. Place dough in a large greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover loosely with a damp cloth; let rise in a warm place until doubled, 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Divide in half. Roll each dough half into a long rope. Cut each rope into 12 equal pieces. Shape each piece into an oval. Place rolls, touching each other, on 2 ungreased baking sheets. Brush with melted butter. Cover again; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Bake loaves until golden, 20 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Taste of CenturyLink
Delightful DessertsSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More