- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 9" round cake pan
- smaller round cake pan
- Rimless baking sheet (or an inverted baking sheet)
- 2" biscuit cutter
- Parchment paper
- 1 3/4 cups (8.75 oz) unbleached all-purpose flour (preferably with a protein content no higher than 10.5 percent - Gold Medal or Pillsbury are good)
- 1/4 cup (1.3 oz) rice flour
- 2/3 cup (4.8 oz) superfine sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 16 tbsp (2 sticks) cold, unsalted butter
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Line an ungreased 9" round cake pan with parchment round; set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix both flours, all but 1 tablespoon sugar (reserved for sprinkling), and salt at low speed until combined, about 5 seconds.
- Cut butter into 1/2" cubes with 1/4 cup of the flour mixture on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Add butter and any remaining flour on parchment to the bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Mix on low speed until the dough is pale yellow and resembles damp crumbs, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer and toss mixture lightly with fingers to fluff and loosen; rub any remaining butter bits into the flour mixture with fingertips.
- Turn half the crumbs into the prepared cake pan and even lightly with fingers. Press heavily on the mixture with a second cake pan to compress.
- Add the remaining crumbs on top, even, and press down again.
- Working quickly, smooth the top of the dough with the back of a spoon.
- Insert a paring knife between the dough and the pan. Leaving knife stationary, rotate the pan to free the edges of the dough.
- Unmold the dough onto a rimless or inverted baking sheet lined with parchment (peel the parchment round from the cake pan off top of dough, if necessary).
- Place a 2" biscuit cutter in center of dough and cut out center. Place the center piece to the side, then replace the biscuit cutter into the central hole.
- Place shortbread in oven and IMMEDIATELY reduce temperature to 300 degrees.
- Bake for 20 minutes; remove baking sheet from oven. Score the top of the shortbread into 16 even wedges with a thin knife, then pierce all over with a skewer.
- Return shortbread to the oven and continue to bake until pale golden, about 40 minutes longer.
- Slide parchment onto cutting board, remove cutter from center, sprinkle shortbread evenly with reserved 1 tbsp of sugar, and cut at scored marks into wedges.
- Slide parchment with shortbread onto wire rack and cool to room temperature, at least 3 hours.
NotesUNTRIED RECIPE - POSTING FOR A KITCHEN HELPER.
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Fueling a Firehouse
Taste of CenturyLinkSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More