- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 9 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. dried leaf basil, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp. dried leaf oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. plus a generous pinch ground black pepper
- 6 Tb. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/3 c. milk
- 1 lrg. egg
- 1/3 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 c. ricotta cheese
- 1/4 c. thawed and well-drained chopped spinach (See Note)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for glaze
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese, baking powder, basil, oregano, salt & 1/8 tsp. pepper. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes & distribute them over the flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl, stir together milk and egg. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture and knead 'til combined.
- In medium bowl, stir together mozzarella, ricotta, remaining 1/4 c. Parmesan, spinach and the generous dash of pepper.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough into 1/4" thickness on a lightly floured cutting board. Using a 2 1/2" to 3" diameter crinkled round biscuit cutter, cut out rounds from dough. Gather scraps together and repeat 'til there are 18 rounds. Place 9 of the rounds on an ungreased baking sheet. Top each round with 1 Tb. of spinach/cheese mixture and top each round with one of the remaining circles of dough.
- Press edges gently to seal. Lightly b rush tops with egg. Bake for 15-17 min. or 'til lightly browned.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool 5 min. Using spatula, transfer scones to wire rack to cool. These scones are best served warm.
- Note: Squeeze thawed spinach in paper towels or a clean dish towel to remove moisture.
Notes'These are much easier to make than the classic yeast calzones. Try them with a bowl of soup for alight lunch or dinner.'
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Lunch
MetroCooking Texas 2013See More
Roasted Butternut Bisque with Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
Julia's Fudge Puddles (Modified from allrecipes.com)
Seven More SinsSee More