- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 1 3/4 c. flour
- 1/4 c. honey crunch wheat germ
- 1/2 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- pinch ground mace
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/4 c. plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. grated carrots
- 2/3 c. golden raisins
- 1/2 c. chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly butter a 10" diameter circle in center of baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together flour, wheat germ, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and mace. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl stir together yogurt, egg and vanilla. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in carrots, raisins and pecans. The dough will be sticky.
- Spread dough into and 8 1/2" diameter circle in center of prepared baking sheet. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Bake 19-21 min. or 'til top is lightly browned and cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 5 min. Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Re-cut wedges, if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container in refrigerator. Let scones reach room temp. or warm slightly before serving.
- These scones freeze well.
Notes"While this scone was developed to be nutritious, there is nothing "awfully" healthful tasting about it! Rack one of these scones with a container of yogurt for a lunch that is sure to delight the recipient (and don't forget to pack one for yourself!)."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More