- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1/4 c. firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 c. salted, roasted cashews
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 oz. white chocolate, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 egg yolk mixed w/1/2 tsp. water for glaze.
- 1/4 c. whole salted, roasted cashews, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly butter a baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Chop cashews and stir into butter mixture. In small bowl, stir together milk, egg and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in white chocolate, if desired. With lightly floured hands, divide dough into 6 equal-sized pieces (about 1/3 c. each). Shape into balls and press into 3" diameter circles on prepared baking sheet, leaving about 3" between scones. Brush tops with egg mixture and top with remaining 1/4 c. whole cashews, if desired. Press nuts lightly into dough. Bake 18-23 min. or 'til lightly browned and cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 5 min. Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.
Notes"Studded with chopped cashews, these scones go well with many of the spreads and butters."