- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryWhen we eat Mexican food, we MUCH prefer charro beans vs. "frijoles refritas." (refried beans) These are SOOOO yummy. I developed this recipe a few years ago. And eating them left-over is even better.
- Dried pintos
- garlic powder
- yellow onion
- 1 minced, seeded jalepeno
- 1 can tomatoes
- Pick through beans to pull out all rocks and "uglies."
- rinse well
- Put beans in large pot...cover with about 4 inches of water. bring to simmer and stir OFTEN. (The stirring is what thickens and darkens your broth.) (add water as needed)
- After beans and broth are dark brown and beans are very tender, add salt, pepper, garlic salt and cumin to taste.
- Add one diced yellow onion. (If someone doesn't like onion pieces, I add onion powder.)
- add 1 can tomatoes, juice and all. and 1 bunch cilantro, stems chopped off. Add the jalepeno if you want.
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Rita's Meals By Design Summer Chefs 2015See More
Ginger White Chocolate And Brandy Pumpkin Mousse
Apple Honey Custard Pie
Tortellini CarbonaraSee More