- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 (500 gram) box of feta cheese
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, smashed
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 Maggi chicken bouillon cube
- 1 Tablespoon oregano flakes
- Samboosa wrappers, eggroll wrappers, or filo pastry sheets
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- Cut up the feta cheese into small cubes. Cover with in cold water and soak for at least a half an hour (to remove excess salt).
- In a skillet saute the finely chopped onion in a few Tablespoons of olive oil.
- When the onion is translucent, add the finely chopped tomato and smashed garlic.
- Cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 of a Maggi chicken bouillon cube and the Tablespoon of oregano flakes.
- Stir until the bouillon cube is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Drain the feta cheese and add to the onion mixture.
- Mix (smash together) well.
- To roll: Lay out a samboosa wrapper (long and rectangular in shape) with a short edge of the rectangle directly in front of you.
- Place a rounded teaspoon of the feta cheese filling near this edge.
- Then folding away from you (towards the
- other short edge), enclose the cheese mixture in the wrapper by folding the wrapper in a triangular shape.
- On the side, make a paste of flour and water (1/4
- cup flour and 1/2 cup water).
- Moisten the final edge of the samboosa wrapper
- with the flour paste to cause it to stick and keep the individual samboosa in its triangular shape. Place wet ("pasted") side down on a lightly greased plate.
- Note: if using eggroll wrappers or filo dough, you must cut it into rectangles before stuffing with the meat mixture.
- For filo dough, use a thickness of two or three sheets.
- The rectangles can be cut 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 inches wide, depending on the desired size of the finished appetizer, and should be long enough to enable you to completely enclose the cheese mixture when folding.
- When all of the samboosa have been rolled, fry a few at a time in a heavy skillet in one inch of vegetable oil until the outside is golden and crispy.
- Flip at least once while frying to brown both sides.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm.
NotesCHEESE SAMBOOSA - triangular fried "eggroll"-like appetizers with a tasty feta cheese filling
A Ramadan Must-Have!! *smile*
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Lunch
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skinSee More
Fojos (Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Ancho Chili and Whipped Cream)
Crab And Shrimp Pasta
Graham Cracker Peanut Butter Balls (Truffles)See More