- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 large ripe bananas, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 whole pickled jalapeños, stems discarded, plus 2 tablespoon pickling liquid from the jar
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup lightly packed Thai basil
- 3 pounds yucca (about 4 yucca)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Lime wedges, for serving
- MAKE THE KETCHUP In a medium saucepan, combine the bananas with the vegetable stock, onion, water, pickled jalapeño, garlic and ginger and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring, until the bananas and onion are very tender, 15 minutes. Transfer to a blender and let cool slightly. Add the ketchup, basil and the jalapeño pickling liquid and puree until smooth. Scrape the banana ketchup into a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- MEANWHILE, MAKE THE FRIES Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Peel the yucca and cut into 3-inch lengths. Cut the lengths into 1/2-inch-thick wedges. Cook the yucca in the boiling water until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well and spread on a baking sheet to cool and dry; discard any stringy pieces of yucca.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 1/2 inches of oil to 360°. Set a rack over a baking sheet. Working in batches, fry the yucca, stirring gently to separate the wedges, until golden brown and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the wedges to the rack and season generously with salt. Serve right away with the banana ketchup and lime wedges.
- Make Ahead The banana ketchup can be refrigerated for up to 10 days.
NotesBefore she was with Carl, Inez was married to Marvin - a successful Miami entrepreneur who ignites Carl’s creative juices by giving him the broken down old taco truck that will become El Jefe. The following recipe for Yucca Fries calls for ripened bananas that are peeled and chopped - terms that also describe the condition of the truck when Marvin first hands over the keys.
This is an official recipe created for and made in the film "CHEF" by Chef Roy Choi.
For more info, visit chefthefilm.com.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Lau Family RecipesSee More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More