CHEN FAMILY'S SHRIMP FRIED RICE
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
2 tablespoons cooking oil (vegetable oil, salad oil, sunflower oil, light olive oil of your choice)
3 eggs, beaten
1-2 green onions, finely chopped
1 small white sweet onions, finely chopped (optional)
50g/2oz cooked baby shrimps
50g/2 oz frozen peas
400g/14oz cold cooked jasmine rice
1-2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1-2 pinches of ground white pepper (optional)
Heat a wok over a high heat and add 1 tablespoon cooking oil. Pour in the beaten eggs and leave to settle for 1-2 minutes, then swirl the liquid egg around the wok using a wooden spoon, and stir to lightly scramble it but not too dry. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Add 1 tablespoon cooking oil to the wok, throw in the finely chopped white onions, stir until cooked, add the shrimps and frozen peas to the wok and stir-fry for less than 1 minute. Add the rice and mix well until the rice has broken apart.
Add the scrambled eggs back to the wok, season with soy sauce, sesame oil, white pepper and green onions to taste and serve immediately.
1. Key ingredients for the Asian taste in this recipe are green onions, soy sauce and sesame oil
2. Better to have freshly cooked and cooled rice. If the rice has been refrigerated, warm it up in the microwave to make the rice soft and fluffy before adding to the wok.
3. The amount of cooking oil and soy sauce is up to the individual preference. The soy sauce can also be substituted with salt.
4. Shrimp can be substituted with other meat such as cooked chicken or sausages
5. If you like coriander leaves, add some finely chopped coriander leaves to make it very tasty as well.
If you don’t have rice cooker, below is a recipe to cook the rice on the stove:
350g/12oz jasmine rice, washed until the water runs clear
600ml/1 pint water
1. Place the rice in a heavy-based saucepan and add the water. Ring to the boil, then cover with a tight-fitting lid, turn the heat down to low and cook for 15-20 minutes.
2. Uncover the pan and remove from the heat. Fluff up the grains of rice with a fork and serve immediately.