- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 24 peeled medium shrimp (about 1 3/4 pound/750 grams)
- 1 tablespoons ginger juice
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 green onions
- 4 slices fresh ginger
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium cucumber
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice wine or dry sherry or sake
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon light or less sodium soy sauce
- Rinse the shrimp under cold running water, rubbing alternately with salt and cornstarch, this whitens the meat and removes any fishy odor. Make a slit in the center back of each shrimp, then open up and flatten slightly by pounding with the side of a cleaver. Pass the tail of each shrimp through to the slit to curl them attractively. Place in a dish and sprinkle with the ginger juice, cold water and pepper.
- Trim the green onions, using only the firm white end of each one. Cut in half and use the point of a sharp knife to shred the ends. Place in a dish of ice water to curl up.
- Very finely shred the ginger. Peel the carrot and cucumber and thinly slice lengthwise. Cut into 2 inch (5 cm) length, then into matchsticks. Place in ice water until needed.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet, and stir-fry the shrimp and ginger until the shrimp are half cooked. Gradually mix the cornstarch in the stock. Add the wine, sugar and soy sauce to the wok and stir over high heat for a few seconds, then add the stock and cook quickly until the sauce thickens and turns transparent.
- Drain the carrot and cucumber and arrange on a serving platter. Top with the shrimp and sauce, then surround with curls of green onion.
NotesTracy here is a special recipe for you
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"See More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More