- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb of mild coarsely ground smoked pork sausage;
- 1 1/2 lb diced chicken;
- 2 tbs vegetable oil;
- 1 cup chopped onions;
- 1 lb package of frozen sliced okra;
- 1 finely chopped bell pepper;
- 3 ribs of finely diced celery;
- 2 medium chopped onions;
- 10 cloves of chopped garlic;
- 1/4 cup dried parsley;
- one 14 1/2 ounce can of drained diced tomatoes;
- three 14 ounce cans of low sodium chicken broth;
- 4 cups water;
- 1 bay leaf;
- 2 tsp thyme leaves;
- 1 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce;
- 1/2 tsp black pepper;
- 1 1/2 tsp hot sauce (not tabasco);
- 1/2 tsp Kitchen Bouquet browning sauce (optional);
- 2 cups chopped green onions;
- Slice each link of 1 lb of mild coarsely ground smoked pork sausage lengthwise twice to form 4 strips and then chop the strips into 1/3" thick slices.
- Brown the diced sausage over medium heat with about 2 tbs vegetable oil and 1/2 cup water. When the sausage has browned, add another 1/2 cup or so of water, scrape the bottom of the pot and then remove the browned sausage with a slotted spoon leaving the rendered sausage fat and the water.
- Add 1 cup chopped onions and a 1 lb package of frozen sliced okra that has been defrosted and which has been further diced before putting into the pot.
- Cook the onions and okra over medium/medium high heat stirring frequently until the slime released from the okra begins to dry up. Usually takes 10-12 minutes.
- Add 1 finely chopped bell pepper, 3 ribs of finely diced celery, 2 medium chopped onions, 10 cloves of chopped garlic, 1/4 cup dried parsley, one 14 1/2 ounce can of drained diced tomatoes, three 14 ounce cans of low sodium chicken broth, 4 cups water, 1 bay leaf, 2 tsp thyme leaves, 1 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp black pepper and 1 1/2 tsp hot sauce (do not use tabasco). Simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Skim ever 10 minutes for the first 1/2 hour.
- Add the browned diced sausage and 1/2 tsp Kitchen Bouquet browning sauce (optional) and simmer an additional 20 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 lb diced chicken and simmer an additional 20 minutes
NotesThis is an excellent easy to make gumbo.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!See More
Paula’s Vegetable Beef Chili
Beans And Tomatoes Chili Con CarneSee More