- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 5 Tbsp olive or groundnut oil
- 5 cardamom pods
- 2 in piece of cinnamon stick
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh root ginger
- 2 tsp garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper (depending how hot you want it)
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 4 Tbsp of the reserved marinade
- 1 large tomato, very finely chopped
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 150 ml water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 quantity Tandoori Style Chicken (the leftovers from last night's dinner!)
- Put the oil into a large wide pan and set over a medium heat. When it is very hot, put in the cardamom pods and cinnamon stick. Stir once, then add the onions. Stir until they begin to brown. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne and paprika and sir for 30 seconds.
- Add the reserved tandoori marinade, a tablespoon at a time until it is absorbed by the spices.
- Add the the tomato, tomato puree, garam masala and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Pour in the water and bring to a simmer. Cover, turn the heat to low and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Taste for salt, add as needed.
- Add the cooked chicken and any juices from the baking tray. Raise the heat to high and fold the chicken into the sauce. The sauce should thicken and cling to the chicken pieces.
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert CookbookSee More
Sauteed mushrooms with soybean paste
Lamb Loin Chops with Mushroom Marsala SauceSee More