CHICKEN WITH CHUTNEY
2 cut up chickens or the equivalent amount of legs, wings and thighs - whatever your family prefers!
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon fresh or dried parsley
1 teaspoon chicken or meat spice
Squeeze of lemon
Salt & pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2-3 cloves of crushed garlic
¼ cup oil
2 cups hot chutney
1½ cups apricot juice (or the juice of a large can of apricots with half the apricots added and crushed)
½ cup mayonnaise
20 baby onions (or 4 onions cut up in quarters)
2 peppers chopped up (any color)
2 small containers of fresh mushrooms
1. Marinade the chicken pieces in the sauce and leave for a few hours or overnight
2. In a large skillet or wok fry onions and pepper until slightly soft, and add the mushrooms for another minute.
3. Pour vegetables and the chicken in the sauce into a large oven-proof dish and cover with foil
4. Bake at 400°F (200°C) for half and hour
5. Uncover and reduce heat to 375°F (190°C) and bake for about one hour, or till chicken is ready (starts to come off the bone), turning the pieces about once every 20 minutes to brown evenly.
6. Serve hot with brown or white rice
Pairs Well With
Kids and big kids love this chicken. The gravy is delicious with rice.