- Cooking Time: 30 to 35 minutes
- Servings: 6 to 8
- Preparation Time: 15 to 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar in one hole
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips.
- Sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, 3 tablespoons cocoa, 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt into a greased 8-inch square cake pan. (I often use 3/4 cup sugar.)
- With spoon, make three depressions in the dry ingredients. Put 1 teaspoon cider vinegar in one hole, 1 teaspoon vanilla in another, and 5 tablespoons vegetable oil in the third. Spoon 1 cup applesauce over all and mix gently until smooth.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30-35 minutes until cake tests done.
- When done sprinkle Milk Chocolate Chips over the top, allow to melt, then spread over cake.
NotesThis is quick-to-make and doesn't leave numerous bowls to clean up. I usually make this in my smaller square cake pan. My mother used to make this with my daughters helping when they were quite small. It brings back great memories just thinking about their time spent together. Licking the spoon was always a favorite.
(I am unsure where my mother picked up this recipe but it is definitely "Kid Friendly" making and eating : )
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School CookbookSee More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More