- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup (250 mL) pecan halves
- Pinch salt
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
- 2 oz (60 g) bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) whipping cream
- Grease 24 mini muffin or tart cups; set aside.
- On rimmed baking sheet, sprinkle pecans with salt.
- Bake in centre of 350°F (180°C) oven until fragrant and golden,about 7 minutes.
- Let cool. Remove 24 halves and set aside.
- Chop remaining pecans; divide evenly among tart cups.
- In small saucepan, melt condensed milk, sugar, butter and corn syrup over medium heat, stirring.
- Simmer over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, for 25 to 27 minutes or until thickened, deep caramel colour and candy thermometer registers 215 to 220°F (101 to 104°C).
- Remove from heat.
- Immediately stir in vanilla.
- Spoon 1 tbsp (15 mL) into each cup; tap pans to spread evenly.
- Let cool on rack.
- Meanwhile, in bowl over saucepan of hot (not boiling water) melt chocolate with cream; remove from heat and stir until smooth.
- Spoon scant 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chocolate mixture onto centre of each candy. Top with pecan half.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes. (Make-ahead: Layer between
- waxed paper in airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.)
NotesReprinted from Celi-Yak News - Winter 2009
This chewy caramel requires a watchful eye and constant stirring.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Broiled Salmon with Olive-Tomato Vinaigrette
Peanut and pretzel truffles
Veggie KebabsSee More