- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c. flour
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 c. orange juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. grated orange peel
- 3/4 c. miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 egg white mixed with 1/2 tsp. water for glaze (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Butter a 9" diameter circle in center of prepared baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl stir together, eggs, orange juice, vanilla and orange peel. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. Dough will be sticky. With lightly floured hands, knead in chocolate chips 'til evenly distributed.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough into an 8" circle in center of prepared baking sheet. If desired brush egg mixture over top and sides of dough. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Bake for 20-25 min. or 'til cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of scone comes out clean. Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 10 min. Re-cut wedges, if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container. These scones freeze well.
Notes"Chocolate and orange -- a classic combination!"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
The NourishFull Kitchen
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of CookingSee More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More