- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 3/4 c. yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg mixed with 1/2 tsp. water for glaze (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly butter a 9" diameter circle in center of baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl stir together milk, egg and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough into an 8" circle in center of prepared baking sheet. If desired brush egg mixture over top of dough. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Bake 15-18 min. or 'til top is lightly browned and cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 5 min. Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Recut wedges if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.
Notes"These scones are particularly good when served warm with butter and fruit preserves or honey."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy BitesSee More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More