CRAB, PASTA AND CHEESE GRATIN
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 lb. macaroni, or any small pasta
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup shelled peas (optional)
- 6 Tbs. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, heated
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, heated
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Ground nutmeg, to taste
- 2/3 lb. lump crabmeat, picked over for shell
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup finely shredded fontina or Emmentaler
- 1/2 cup plus 3 Tbs. grated Parmigiano-
- Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 3 Tbs. finely shredded white
- cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- Preheat an oven to 400F. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Bring a large pot three-fourths full of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni, stir well and cook until al dente (tender but firm to the bite), 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water to halt the cooking and drain again. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the olive oil. Set aside.
- If using the peas, bring a small saucepan three-fourths full of salted water to a boil. Add the peas and cook until nearly tender, about 3 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold running water to halt the cooking, and drain again. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 Tbs. of the butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring, until fully incorporated, about 3 minutes; do not allow to brown. Slowly add the milk and cream, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add the sauce to the macaroni and mix well. Fold in the crabmeat, chives, peas (if using), and 1/2 cup each of the fontina, Parmigiano-Reggiano and cheddar cheeses. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Top with the 3 Tbs. each Parmigiano-Reggiano and cheddar, sprinkling evenly over the surface. Then sprinkle with the bread crumbs. Finally, cut the remaining 2 Tbs. butter into bits and use to dot the top of the gratin.
- Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes, then scoop out with a spoon.
NotesSmooth,rich and creamy.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skinSee More
Puff Daddy Pancake
Pumpkin-Cream Cheese Streusel Pie
Tossed Salad With Oil And Vinegar DressingSee More