- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: (approx.) 30
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. orange (or almond) extract
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Beat 1 cup softened butter with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy.
- Gradually add 3/4 cup powdered sugar, beating until smooth.
- Stir in extracts, cranberries and orange zest until blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
- Shape shortbread mixture into 2 logs, 7 inches long.
- Wrap each log in wax paper and chill 4 hours or overnight before proceeding, OR slip the wrapped logs into a freezer bag and freeze for up to a month.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- If frozen, let the dough logs sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Cut each log into 24 slices (NOTE: I didn’t get that many slices; I cut each slice about 1/4” thick, and that worked very well. Cut them too thin, and they fall apart.)
- Place sliced cookie dough on a lightly greased, or parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Place in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges of cookies are slightly golden (mine actually too about 15 minutes).
- Cool on wire racks before storing in air-tight containers.
NotesI’ve just made these for the first time today, and let me tell you, they are one delicious cookie! Very buttery, with a nice, tender crumb. The original recipe came from a recent issue of SOUTHERN LIVING, and called for 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract. I didn’t have any, so I used orange extract instead, and it worked great. The end result was just the right amount of cranberry-orange flavor! Another good feature of these cookies is that they are soooo simple to make, AND you can freeze the dough for up to a month before baking. I’m making another batch today to give as Christmas gifts…the first ones are almost gone!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
VivaVeganGal's Family Favorites
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
Corn Pocket Rolls
Krrispy's Beer Bacon BreadSee More