CREAM FILLED WAFFLES
- Cooking Time: 5 to 7
- Preparation Time: approximately 15
- The batter:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons warm milk
- 2 pkgs active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- grated peel of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/3 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- additional powdered sugar
- To make waffle batter, stir a pinch of sugar into the warm milk
- and sprinkle with yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes or until the surface is
- frothy. Stir gently to moisten any dry particles remaining on top. Sift the flour, remaing sugar and salt into a large bowl. Melt butter; cool slightly. Lightly beat butter, eggs and lemon peel into the eyast mixutre. Pour into flour mixture. Beat well until batter begins to bubble. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 25 minutes.
- Heat waffle iron, brusing the inside wll with oil. Put a little of the batter
- into the waffle iron, for each waffle. Cook until golden brown, 5-7 minutes,
- depending on teh temperature of waffle iron. Break up waffles into sections. Cool on a rack.
- To make filling, beat cream and 1/4 cup powdered sugar until stiff. Put into
- a pastry bag fitted with a fluted nozzle. Fill pairs of cooled waffed with piped whipped cream mixture. Sprinkle with additional powdered sugar.
NotesThis is actually an old, out of print recipe. They a nice treat. But two problems- these are waffle sandwhiches of sorts, and the waffles disappear
before they can be completed, so I suggest making more than a single recipe. Also to make them so that they look the way their supposed to,
you need a different kind of waffle iron. Although they are fine, small and round.