- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 12 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cups (12 3/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) sugar
- grated rind (zest) of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia flavoring
- 1 cup (8 ounces) buttermilk OR 1 cup (8 ounces) water + 1/4 cup (1 ounce) buttermilk powder
- 2/3 cup (7 ounces) orange marmalade
- 3 to 4 tablespoons coarse white sugar (sparkling sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 9" round cake pan.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, buttermilk powder (if you're using it), baking powder, salt, sugar, and grated rind.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients, using your fingers, a pastry fork, or a pastry blender; you can also do this with an electric mixer. Mix till the butter is fairly well combined with the flour; a few lumps remaining are OK.
- Whisk together the egg, vanilla, Fiori and buttermilk or water. Add this to the dry ingredients, stirring gently till everything is well moistened and just combined.
- Spread the scone batter in the prepared pan. Spread the marmalade atop the scone batter, gently pushing it down with a fork. Sprinkle with the sugar.
- Bake the scones in a preheated 400°F oven for 30 minutes, or till the edges are golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the center of one comes out without crumbs clinging to it. Remove the pan from the oven, and after 5 minutes, turn the scones out onto a rack, jam side up. While they’re still warm, cut each round into 12 wedge-shaped scones. Serve with additional marmalade and Devon cream, if desired.
Cook With The Twinz - Juice & Smoothies Volume One
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.See More
Beef , Tomatoe And Cabbage Casserole
Vanilla Crunch Clouds
Fruity With a Touch of ZingSee More