- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup de-fatted corned beef broth (from cooking corned beef) OR chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch OR arrowroot
- 1 - 8 ounce can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups corned beef, chopped
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Saute onion and celery until tender crisp. Add broth and baking soda.
- Stir together water and corn starch. Add to ingredients in pan. Gradually bring to a boil and stir until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Add sauerkraut, half-and-half, and corned beef. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring every 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add Swiss cheese. Continue cooking until cheese is melted. Pepper to taste.
- Serve with crackers and/or croutons.
- NOTE: If too thick, thin with a little milk.
NotesThis is a favorite "after Saint Patrick's Day" recipe. Even enjoyed by those who dislike sauerkraut.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!
Lau Family Recipes
Family and Friends Starter CookBookSee More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More