CREAMY REUBEN CHOWDER
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup de-fatted corned beef broth (from cooking corned beef) OR chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch OR arrowroot
- 1 - 8 ounce can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups corned beef, chopped
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- pepper, to taste
Melt butter in large saucepan. Saute onion and celery until tender crisp. Add broth and baking soda.
Stir together water and corn starch. Add to ingredients in pan. Gradually bring to a boil and stir until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
Reduce heat to simmer. Add sauerkraut, half-and-half, and corned beef. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring every 3 to 4 minutes.
Add Swiss cheese. Continue cooking until cheese is melted. Pepper to taste.
Serve with crackers and/or croutons.
NOTE: If too thick, thin with a little milk.