- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 10 large egg yolks
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Light brown sugar
- In a large saucepan, heat the whipping cream over medium heat, until it just starts to bubble; don't boil. While whipping cream is heating up, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, salt and vanilla. Gradually stir in the hot cream into the yolk mixture (tempering method).
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place a folded dish towel in the bottom of a baking pan to insulate the custard from heat on the bottom of the pan. Set 4 eight-oz or 6 six-oz ramekins or 1 large baking dish on the towel. Divide the custard mixture between the ramekins. Carefully pour hot water in the pan to about 1 inch up the sides of the ramekins. Bake uncovered for 40 to 50 minutes or until custard is just set. Refrigerate for about 3 hours or until chilled.
- Sprinkle tops with even coating of light brown sugar. Torch to "broil" sugar or broil 6 in from the heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Serve immediately.
NotesAnd with a small blow torch, you can finish off this brown sugar-topped yummy treat at the dinner table.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013See More
Easy Graham Cracker Ginger Bread House
Pecan Almond MuffinsSee More