- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 10 large egg yolks
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Light brown sugar
- In a large saucepan, heat the whipping cream over medium heat, until it just starts to bubble; don't boil. While whipping cream is heating up, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, salt and vanilla. Gradually stir in the hot cream into the yolk mixture (tempering method).
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place a folded dish towel in the bottom of a baking pan to insulate the custard from heat on the bottom of the pan. Set 4 eight-oz or 6 six-oz ramekins or 1 large baking dish on the towel. Divide the custard mixture between the ramekins. Carefully pour hot water in the pan to about 1 inch up the sides of the ramekins. Bake uncovered for 40 to 50 minutes or until custard is just set. Refrigerate for about 3 hours or until chilled.
- Sprinkle tops with even coating of light brown sugar. Torch to "broil" sugar or broil 6 in from the heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Serve immediately.
NotesAnd with a small blow torch, you can finish off this brown sugar-topped yummy treat at the dinner table.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
Lau Family Recipes
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More