- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 head of cabbage
- 2-3 cups of vinegar
- 3 cups of Minute rice
- 1 lb. of bacon (chopped)
- 1 large white onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup of butter or margarine
- Pepper to taste
- Remove the core from the cabbage using a sharp knife. Place the cabbage cored side down in a large pot, add the 2 cups of vinegar and enough water to cover the cabbage. Bring the water to a simmer over medium heat. Once the cabbage leaves start to separate from the head, carefully using tongs, remove the leaves. Once at the leave are separated from the head allow to cool.
- In a pot make the rice according to package directions. Once rice is done move it to a large mixing bowl and add the butter and pepper. Meanwhile in a skillet fry the bacon and onion until cooked through but not crunchy. Once the bacon and onions are cooked pour over the rice, drippings included. Stir well to mix
- Take a cabbage leaf and split it down the center removing the tough rib part. Place a large tbsp of the filling at one end of the leaf and roll up tucking in the sides. Repeat with the remaining leaves and filling. Layer the cabbage rolls in a greased casserole dish.
- You can dot with butter, cover with foil and bake in a 325*F over for 1 ½ hours. The traditional way we make them is using 1 can of tomato soup mixed with a half can of water and poured over the casserole. Bake for the same amount of time but place foil under the dish as it will cook over!
- If you are freezing your cabbage rolls you can do it a few different ways :
- #1, line a cookie sheet with foil and spray lightly with Pam. Place a the cabbage rolls onto the cookie sheet and pop in the freezer. Once the rolls are frozen place in a ziplock freezer bag.
- #2, layer the cabbage rolls into a freezer safe container, preferably one that can go straight into the oven.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Lau Family Recipes
MidLife Road Trip's
Driscoll's Berry DessertsSee More
Thigh and Drumstick Cacciatore
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers
Chocolate PavlovaSee More