CABBAGE AND WHITE BEAN SOUP WITH SAUSAGE
Cabbage and White Bean Soup with Sausage
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces fully cooked chicken-apple sausages (about 4), halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage (about 1/2 small head)
- 3 leeks (white and pale green parts only), halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups baby carrots, cut in half lengthwise, then halved crosswise
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste concentrate (from tube)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 8 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage slices and sauté until brown around edges, about 5 minutes. Add cabbage; sauté 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl. Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to same pot and heat over medium heat. Add leeks and carrots and sauté until soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, parsley, and rosemary and stir 1 minute. Add broth, sausage-cabbage mixture, and beans and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead.
This one looked doable and not too unhealthy. I could only find chicken apple sausage with gouda cheese in it. I think the cheese melted into the soup and made it somewhat greasier than I would have liked, but overall I though it was a very hearty, yummy soup.