CABERNET BACON BLEU BURGERS WITH HERBED MAYONAISE
- Cooking Time: 6-10
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 45
- 1/2 lb. thick sliced pepper bacon, diced 1/4"
- 2 Tbsp. bacon fat
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced 1/4"
- 2 Tbsp. fresh garlic, chopped fine
- 2 cups Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 lbs. ground sirloin
- 1/2 lb. Maytag bleu cheese (use whatever you like, but Maytag is sooo creamy and mild)
- 6 each large onion rolls
- Herbed Mayonnaise:
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. capers, drained and chopped
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Fry the bacon in a dry pan until crisp. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels.
discard all but 2 Tbsp. of the fat. Saute the onion in the reserved bacon fat until just beginning to brown.
Add the garlic and cook until the onion is well browned.
Add the wine and cook until there is very little liquid left.
Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
Mix bacon and cooled onion mix into the ground sirloin.
Seperate into 6 equal portions and form into patties about 1/2" thick.
Grill over high heat about three minutes per side to medium doneness.
top with bleu cheese and cover to melt the cheese.
while cheese is melting place the buns under the broiler and toast them to golden.
Combine all ingredients and chill thouroghly.
Spread 1 1/2 Tbsp. herbed mayonnaise on each half of each of the buns. I like to use a slice of ripe tomato and some shredded iceburg lettuce (I know, some will laugh at the lettuce, but I like it).
Top with the cooked patties...and enjoy
Makes about six sandwiches (but that depends on how large you make 'em)