- Cooking Time: 6-10
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 45
- 1/2 lb. thick sliced pepper bacon, diced 1/4"
- 2 Tbsp. bacon fat
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced 1/4"
- 2 Tbsp. fresh garlic, chopped fine
- 2 cups Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 lbs. ground sirloin
- 1/2 lb. Maytag bleu cheese (use whatever you like, but Maytag is sooo creamy and mild)
- 6 each large onion rolls
- Herbed Mayonnaise:
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. capers, drained and chopped
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Fry the bacon in a dry pan until crisp. Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels.
- discard all but 2 Tbsp. of the fat. Saute the onion in the reserved bacon fat until just beginning to brown.
- Add the garlic and cook until the onion is well browned.
- Add the wine and cook until there is very little liquid left.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Mix bacon and cooled onion mix into the ground sirloin.
- Seperate into 6 equal portions and form into patties about 1/2" thick.
- Grill over high heat about three minutes per side to medium doneness.
- top with bleu cheese and cover to melt the cheese.
- while cheese is melting place the buns under the broiler and toast them to golden.
- Herbed Mayonnaise.
- Combine all ingredients and chill thouroghly.
- Spread 1 1/2 Tbsp. herbed mayonnaise on each half of each of the buns. I like to use a slice of ripe tomato and some shredded iceburg lettuce (I know, some will laugh at the lettuce, but I like it).
- Top with the cooked patties...and enjoy
NotesI guess this could be a main dish or even outdoor cooking...you can decide...but they are taassty! :)
Makes about six sandwiches (but that depends on how large you make 'em)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
Smooth Tomato & Creamy Tofu Sauce