CAFé AU LAIT CAKE
- Servings: 12 to 16
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee (dry)
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist devil's food cake mix
- Vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee (dry)
- 1 tablespoon cool water
- 1 container Betty Crocker Whipped milk chocolate frosting
- 1 1/2 cups frozen (thawed) whipped topping
- Chocolate-covered espresso beans, if desired
1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans).
Grease and flour bottoms only of two 8-inch or 9-inch round pans.
Dissolve 1 tablespoon coffee in 1 1/3 cups water.
Make cake batter as directed on box, using coffee mixture in place of the water.
Bake and cool as directed.
2. Dissolve 2 teaspoons coffee in 1 tablespoon cool water.
Stir 2 teaspoons of the coffee mixture into frosting.
In medium bowl, stir together whipped topping and remaining coffee mixture; gently stir in 1/4 cup of the frosting mixture.
3. Place 1 cake layer, rounded side down, on serving plate.
Spread with half of the whipped topping mixture (about 3/4 cup) to within 1/4 inch of edge.
Top with second layer, rounded side up.
Frost side and top of cake with frosting.
Pipe remaining whipped topping mixture around top of cake.
Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours or until chilled. Garnish top of cake with espresso beans.
Store covered in refrigerator.
Start to Finish:4 hr 5 min