- Cooking Time: 15 min
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 10 min
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound turkey hot dogs or other low-fat smoked sausage, cut in 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) Cajun-style stewed tomatoes*
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) navy or great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup thinly-sliced green onions
- *may substitute stewed tomatoes
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the hot dogs, onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook until the meat is browned and the onions are tender, stirring often, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the rice, tomatoes, kidney beans, navy beans, oregano and hot pepper sauce. Heat through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions, and serve immediately.
NotesWhether it's a special occasion or just an everyday meal, this Cajun-style dish makes a great side dish or even a main dish. Rich in fiber, the canned beans deliver plenty of lean protein, too!
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
HKA Community Fair Recipes 2015
Camp Nubar Baking ClassSee More
Salted Caramel - Sauce and/or squares
All the food groups in one dish...if you consider tomatoes a fruit :)!
Hanky PankySee More