- Cooking Time: 140
- Servings: 80 (8)
- Preparation Time: 75
- 2–2½ lbs (1 cup) flour
- 32 oz (6 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 20 lbs (2 lbs) beef bottom rounds, cubed
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 2½ lbs (1 cup) carrots, diced
- 2½ lbs (1 cup) turnips, diced
- 5 (½ medium) yellow onions
- 1 bunch (½ cup) celery, chopped
- 2 tsp (¼ tsp) cayenne pepper
- 10 cups (1 cup) dry red wine
- 10 (1 leaf) bay leaves
- 1 cup (2 tbs) hot sauce
- 8 tsp (1 tsp) Cajun seasoning
- 2 bags (¼ cup) pearl onions
- 5 lbs (½ lb/1 potato) Yukon potatoes
- 5 tsp (1½ tsp) garlic, chopped
- 10 tsp (1 tsp) dried thyme
- Prepare roux thickening agent in advance.
- Mix flour and oil.
- Bake for 45 minutes to a thick, dry mud consistency.
- Toss raw cubed beef in a tad more of oil, pinch of salt and pepper.
- Brown beef in oven for 20 to 30 minutes at 300° F.
- Put browned meat into heavy-duty stock pot; add enough beef stock to cover the meat.
- Bring to a boil, then transfer meat to a medium-low heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add carrots, turnips and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
- Add chopped onions, celery and cayenne pepper.
- Add wine, bay leaves, hot sauce and Cajun seasoning.
- Cook for 20 minutes more.
- Add pearl onions, potatoes, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bring to another boil; then reduce heat to medium-low heat.
- Cover and simmer for another 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Take some of the liquid out of pot and mix your roux in it, whip until smooth.
- Add this back to your pot with meat and vegetables.
- This should thicken everything up nicely.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Adjust seasoning and serve over noodles, rice or even grits.
NotesThe ingredients for the original recipe are in "cooking for a crowd" amounts yielding 80 servings. However in parentheses are also ⅛ the size amounts yielding a more "family friendly cooking" 8 servings when followed.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Paul's Food World Volume 1
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Easy Graham Cracker Ginger Bread House
Pecan Almond MuffinsSee More