- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pound lean (93%) ground turkey
- 1 can (11 ounces) chili beans in sauce
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning, divided
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided (1 cup)
- 2 packages (8.5 ounces each) corn muffin mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a skillet, cook and stir ground turkey over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink; drain if necessary.
- In small bowl, combine turkey, chili beans, 1 tablespoon of the seasoning mix and garlic.
- Slice 6 rings from both red and green bell pepper for a total of 12 rings. Arrange bell pepper rings in an overlapping circular pattern in bottom of skillet.
- Chop onion; sprinkle over pepper rings.
- Carefully spoon chili mixture over vegetables.
- In a bowl, combine muffin mix, remaining seasoning mix and half of the cheese.
- Add water and eggs; mix until smooth.
- Pour batter evenly over chili mixture. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Carefully remove skillet to cooling rack. Loosen edges of cornbread from skillet.
- To unmold cornbread, place a 15" pc. of parchment paper over cornbread. Place a baking sheet over parchment paper. Carefully invert cornbread onto baking sheet; place on inverted rack.
- Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese. Serve Yield: 12 servings or 24 sample servings
- Tip: Lean (90%) ground beef, cooked and drained, can be substituted for ground turkey, if desired.
NotesThis recipe uses ground turkey and is a healthy alternative to the usual ground beef.
Jean’s Recipe File
Mrs. Claus Cooks for Holiday Entertaining
Cook With The Twinz - Juice & Smoothies Volume OneSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More