- Cooking Time: 100
- Servings: 10-12
- Preparation Time: 120
- 1 lbs cubed boneless chicken breasts
- 1 pound cubed boneless boston butt pork roast
- 1 pound sliced smoked sausage
- 4 ribs of celery diced
- 4 white onions peeled and diced
- 4 bell peppers cleaned and diced
- 4 cups extra long grain white rice
- 1 bundle green onions
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- white pepper
- ground cayenne
- in a heavy bottom dutch oven (preferrably 8 qt. black iron pot) add cubed pork and fry meat till it starts to brown and render fat.
- add cubed chicken and stir into pork and fry untill light brown
- add sliced sausage and fry until all meats are dark golden brown, moisture is cooked out and the fats and meat begin sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- It is important to stir but let your meat caramelize and stick to the bottom of the pot but not burn.
- once your meats are caramelized use a slotted spoon and remove the caramelized meats and set aside.
- turn heat up to med-hi and add all of your diced vegetables except the green onions.
- Friy the vegetables on the oil left from the meat. once the vegetables begin sweating, it will pull the "Gratin" color from the bottom of the pot . continue to saute until all vegetables are completely wilted and extremely dark (almost black) in color.
- add your meats back to your sauteed vegetables.
- add in 7-1/2 cups of water
- bring your pot to a boil
- add seasoning to taste (I would use 2 tblsp each of salt, black pepper,garlic powder, and 1 tblsp of cayenne and white pepper)
- allow mixture to boil for approx. 15 minutes.
- add your rice leaving uncovered and stirring occasionally until it returns to a boil.
- add diced green onion tops
- reduce the heat to low cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes, until rice is fluffy but not sticky. Do not stir wile simmering.
- once rice is done, turn off heat and fold together.
NotesThis version of Jambalaya is suitable for a standard 5qt dutch oven able to be cooked in the home! You can use all the meats as a combo or choose one of the meats to go with your sausage.
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook 2014
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite RecipesSee More
Skinny Mojito for Cinco de Mayo
Spicy New England Style Lobster Roll
Avocado & Swiss Sprouted Wheat PizzaSee More