CAJUN MACARONI AND CHEESE WITH SHRIMP BY LISA MAZZAFERRO
- 1 lb. Cavatappi pasta cooked
- 8 T. butter, divided
- 1 lb. medium shrimp cut in thirds
- 1 tsp. cajun seasoning, divided
- 1 T. grated onion
- 3 T. flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 lb. Swiss cheese (grated)
- 1/2 lb. cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 lb. pepper Jack cheese (grated and divided)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Melt butter in medium sauce pan. Add shrimp, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. cajun seasoning. Cook 3-4 minutes, remove.
3. In same pan melt 2T butter, add onion and sauté 1 minute. Whisk in flour, cook 1 minute. Whisk in milk and heat approximately 4 minutes. Add Swiss, cheddar and 3/4 lb. pepper Jack cheese. Stir until smooth. Add 1/2 tsp. cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir in cooked shrimp.
4. In buttered casserole dish add cooked cavatappi pasta. Pour cheese sauce over mix to cover all pasta.
5. Top with 1/4 lb. pepper Jack cheese, bread crumbs, 3 T. melted butter and parsley.
6. Bake 45 minutes.