- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 large white onion, chopped
- 2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 can (28 ounces) Cajun Stewed Tomatoes
- 1 can (14 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 8 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons parsley
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 32 ounces frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons sweet basisl
- 2 pounds frozen shrimp
- 2 quarts water
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a heavy skillet melt 4 tablespoons butter and stir in the flour. Continue to stir over low heat until flour is dark brown.
- Add remaining butter, onions, celery and a little bit of chicken broth. Cook on low heat stirring constantly until onions are clear and celery is tender. Add the tomatoes and seasonings (except parsley) and simmer at low heat for 15 minutes.
- In a large soup pot, bring the remaining broth and water to a boil. Add frozen corn and tomato/onion mixture. Simmer uncovered for 1 hour. Add additional water as needed.
- Add shrimp, rice, parsley and green onions and continue cooking an additional 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bon Appetit!
NotesThis recipe was given to us by a friend, who made 16 gallons of the Cajun wedding corn & shrimp soup for her daughter's wedding. Of course you don't have to wait for a wedding to prepare this soup.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14See More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More