- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix (or whatever flavor you want)
- 8 straight-sided wide-mouth pint canning jars with lids and rings
- Prepare the cake according to package instructions, or use any cake recipe.
- In pint size, straight-sided wide-mouth jars, put 1 cup of batter in each greased jar.
- Make sure to keep the rims of the jars clean.
- Put in preheated oven 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place jars on a cookie sheet to keep from tipping over while baking.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- While they are baking, have your jar lids boiling in a pan of water.
- When the cake is done, take one jar out at a time and add the hot lid and screw on your jar ring and let set and cool.
- It will seal as it cools.
- Place the jars on the counter and listen for them to 'ping' as they seal.
- If you miss the 'ping', wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid.
- If it doesn't move at all, it's sealed.
- After it cools it will pull away from the jar and when you are ready to eat, open and pop out the cake and enjoy.
- Unsealed jars should be stored in the refrigerator and eaten within 2 weeks. Sealed jars may be stored in a freezer.
NotesThese work great for mailing. If you have a soldier in Iraq, he would thrilled to get one of these cakes. Send him or her plenty for their friends and a can of icing and they can have a party.