- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 lb cubed stew meat
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 large potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 13 ounces frozen green chili peppers, thawed
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- salt, to taste
- 1. Heat oil in large pan.
- 2. Add onions and garlic. Cook about 3-5 minutes.
- 3. Lightly coat the stew meat in flour and add to the pan.
- 4. Brown the meat and add green chiles (with liquid). You can use hot or mild chile depending on your tastes.
- 5. Let simmer about 5 minutes and add tomatoes (drained of liquid).
- 6. Add one or two cups of water and potatoes.
- 7. Cook covered until potatoes are easily cut with a fork.
- 8. If most of the water has evaporated, add more.
- 9. Add salt to taste.
- 10. Serve with tortillas.
- 11. You can continue to simmer the remaining stew in the pot to have later. It tastes better the longer you cook it!
NotesNew Mexico Green Chile Stew
This is a stew I grew up eating in the Southwest and this is my mom's recipe with a couple of my own additions to make it more flavorful. It is best to use Hatch green chiles (if you can get them in your area) and by green chiles, I don't mean jalapenos! I have posted this recipe elsewhere and got a lot of questions about what I meant by "green chile pepper." Anyway, enjoy!