CALIFORNIA RAISIN TOMATO AND ONION SEED CHUTNEY
- 2 tablespoons grape seed or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black onion seeds
- 1 medium bay leaf
- 2 small dried red chiles
- 1 pound fresh ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1-1/4 teaspoons mild red chili powder
- 1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon California golden raisins
Heat oil in heavy pan and add onion seeds, bay leaf and dried chiles.
When they crackle, snap and pop, add tomatoes and cook until soft. Stir
in chili powder, sugar and raisins; simmer for 15 minutes until liquid
has almost all evaporated and the chutney is thick and glossy. Cool and
serve as a vegetarian side dish or with East Indian flatbreads such as
poori or parantha for dipping.