- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons grape seed or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black onion seeds
- 1 medium bay leaf
- 2 small dried red chiles
- 1 pound fresh ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1-1/4 teaspoons mild red chili powder
- 1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon California golden raisins
- Heat oil in heavy pan and add onion seeds, bay leaf and dried chiles.
- When they crackle, snap and pop, add tomatoes and cook until soft. Stir
- in chili powder, sugar and raisins; simmer for 15 minutes until liquid
- has almost all evaporated and the chutney is thick and glossy. Cool and
- serve as a vegetarian side dish or with East Indian flatbreads such as
- poori or parantha for dipping.