- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anise extract
- 6 egg
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups diced mixed candied fruit
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Blend in eggs and anise extract.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the egg mixture.
- Finally, stir in the candied fruit.
- Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Divide dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a log about 12 inches long.
- Place 2 logs per cookie sheet.
- Press down slightly and bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the pans for about 5 minutes.
- Slice diagonally into 1/2 inch thick slices. Place the slices cut side down on the baking sheet and return to the oven for another 16 to 18 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
- Cool on racks and store in airtight containers.