- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 or 5 large navel oranges
- Sugar (more on quantity later)
- Cold water
- Peel the oranges and cut the rinds into pieces around an inch long and about a 1/4 inch wide.
- Put them into a saucepan and cover them with cold water. Bring almost to the boiling point but DON'T boil. Pour off the scalding water and repeat the cold water to scalding water process two more times.
- After the third time, weigh the orange rind and add an equal amount, by weight, of sugar then just barely cover it all with cold water and and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil until no syrup shows in the saucepan when you tip it to its side. Spread the rind on a buttered platter or silicone sheet and roll in granulated sugar when partially cool. You can candy lemon peel the same way. If you want bigger chunks of peel, just increase the cooking time in the syrup.
- Dry throughly before packing in an air tight container.
NotesI realized when I posted my dainties recipe that I hadn't told anyone how to make candied orange peel so here my method
Life on a Beach Easy Seafood Cooking at Home
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
culinary karmaSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More