CANDIED SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH TOASTED MARSHMALLOW TOPPING
- Cooking Time: 75
- Servings: 10-12
- Preparation Time:
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into 1 inch chunks
- 5 lbs sweet potatoes (8 medium), peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups mini-marshmallows
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potatoes, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and water; bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring often, until the sweet potatoes are tender (a paring knife can be slipped into and out of the center of the potatoes with very little resistance), 45 to 60 minutes.
- When the sweet potatoes are tender, remove the lid and bring the sauce to a rapid simmer over medium-high heat. Continue to simmer until the sauce has reduced to a glaze, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 450 degrees. Pour the potato mixture into a 13 by 9-inch baking dish (or a shallow casserole dish of similar size). Spread the marshmallows over the potatoes. Bake until the marshmallows are crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
NotesFor a more intense molasses flavor, use dark brown sugar in place of light brown sugar. To make ahead, follow the recipe through cooking the potatoes. Refrigerate the sweet-potato mixture in a large microwave-safe bowl, tightly wrapped with plastic wrap, for up to 24 hours. When ready to bake, poke several vent holes in the plastic wrap covering the potatoes and microwave on medium-high power until hot, 3 to 5 minutes, and continue with the recipe.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Hot and Sour Soup
My Husband’s Favorite Desert
Mickey's Pulled PorkSee More