- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 12 ounces chocolate- and/or vanilla-flavor candy coating*, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup toffee pieces, crushed; finely chopped pistachios; and/or nonpareils
- 48 short plastic or wooden skewers (optional)
- 1 14-ounce package vanilla caramels (about 48), unwrapped
- 2 ounces chocolate- and/or vanilla-flavor candy coating*, coarsely chopped (optional)
- In a microwave-safe 4-cup measure, place the 12 ounces candy coating.
- Microwave on 100% power (high) for 3 minutes or just until melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Place toffee pieces, nuts, or nonpareils in a shallow dish.
- If desired, insert a skewer into each caramel. Dip one caramel into melted candy coating; turn to coat as much of the caramel as desired, allowing excess coating to drip off caramel. (If not using skewers, use a fork to lift caramel out of candy coating, drawing the fork across the rim of the glass measure to remove excess coating from caramel.)
- Place dipped caramel in toffee pieces, nuts, and/or nonpareils, turning to coat.
- Place coated caramel on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper.
- Repeat with remaining caramels.
- Let caramels stand about 1 hour or until coating dries.
- If desired, microwave 2 ounces of a contrasting color of candy coating in a microwave-safe bowl on 100% power (high) for 2 minutes or just until melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Cool slightly.
- Transfer coating to a small, heavy plastic bag; cut a small hole in one corner of bag and drizzle additional coating over coated caramels. Let caramels stand until set.
- Makes 48 pieces.
- To Store: Layer caramels between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover.
- Store at room temperature for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
- *If desired, substitute milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and/or white chocolate baking squares with cocoa butter for candy coating.