- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red food color
- 2 tablespoons finely crushed peppermint candies
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Stir together 1 cup sugar, the butter, milk, vanilla, peppermint extract and egg in large bowl.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Divide dough in half.
- Stir food color into 1 half.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Stir together peppermint candy and 2 tablespoon sugar; set aside.
- For each candy cane, shape 1 rounded teaspoon dough from each half into 4-inch rope by rolling back and forth on floured surface.
- Place 1 red and white rope side by side; press together lightly and twist.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet; curve top of cookie down to form handle of cane.
- Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until set and very light brown.
- Immediately sprinkle candy mixture over cookies. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Makes 4 1/2 dozen cookies
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
Short & Sweet
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School CookbookSee More
Cocktail (The V)
Angel Acres Feel Better Chicken Noodle Soup
Twisted Shirley TempleSee More