- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red food color
- 2 tablespoons finely crushed peppermint candies
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Stir together 1 cup sugar, the butter, milk, vanilla, peppermint extract and egg in large bowl.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Divide dough in half.
- Stir food color into 1 half.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Stir together peppermint candy and 2 tablespoon sugar; set aside.
- For each candy cane, shape 1 rounded teaspoon dough from each half into 4-inch rope by rolling back and forth on floured surface.
- Place 1 red and white rope side by side; press together lightly and twist.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet; curve top of cookie down to form handle of cane.
- Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until set and very light brown.
- Immediately sprinkle candy mixture over cookies. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Makes 4 1/2 dozen cookies
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
My Family CookbookSee More
Thomas' English Muffin Clone
Black Bean SoupSee More