- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is my husbands Christmas cookie, his mom used to make these every year for christmas... I really don't like making them... I understand why she doesn't make them, they are a pain and take a lot of time. Something I don't have a lot of specially around the holidays. But I love my husband, so I make one batch and one batch only. This is also a dry cookie which I don't like either so my husband usually eats the whole batch.
- 1 cup shortening mix
- (1/2 butter/1/2 shortening)
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red food coloring
- 1/2 tsp crushed peppermind candy
- 1/2 cup grandulated sugar
- Mix shortening mixture, confectioners' sugar, egg and flavorings.
- Mix flour and salt and add to wet mixture. Divide dough in half.
- Blend food coloring into one half (wear gloves!)
- on a side bowl mix peppermint candy and grandulated sugar together, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Roll dough into a 4" strip, using 1tsp of dough, roll them on a lightly (very lightly) floured surface.
- place the strips side by side, press together lightly and twist like a rope. Do these one at a time.
- Place dough on ungreased sheet and curve top down to form the candy cane shape.
- Bake 9 mins, until very lightly browned.
- As soon as you take them out of the oven sprinkle with candy and sugar mixture.