- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup shortening mix
- (1/2 butter/1/2 shortening)
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red food coloring
- 1/2 tsp crushed peppermind candy
- 1/2 cup grandulated sugar
- Mix shortening mixture, confectioners' sugar, egg and flavorings.
- Mix flour and salt and add to wet mixture. Divide dough in half.
- Blend food coloring into one half (wear gloves!)
- on a side bowl mix peppermint candy and grandulated sugar together, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Roll dough into a 4" strip, using 1tsp of dough, roll them on a lightly (very lightly) floured surface.
- place the strips side by side, press together lightly and twist like a rope. Do these one at a time.
- Place dough on ungreased sheet and curve top down to form the candy cane shape.
- Bake 9 mins, until very lightly browned.
- As soon as you take them out of the oven sprinkle with candy and sugar mixture.
NotesThis is my husbands Christmas cookie, his mom used to make these every year for christmas... I really don't like making them... I understand why she doesn't make them, they are a pain and take a lot of time. Something I don't have a lot of specially around the holidays. But I love my husband, so I make one batch and one batch only. This is also a dry cookie which I don't like either so my husband usually eats the whole batch.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
WorkingBug's Open House Cookbook
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
Delicious Recipes Made EasySee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More