- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 c Sugar
- 1 ts Peppermint flavoring
- 1/2 c Water
- 3/4 c Lt. corn syrup
- 3/4 ts Red vegetable coloring
- 1/4 ts Cream of tartar
- The sugar, water, syrup, and cream of tartar you combine and heat till the sugar's dissolved real fine. Divide into two saucepans, boil, but don't stir, please, until each lot is 280F.
- Add 1/2 ts peppermint to each lot and add the coloring to one, the other not: place on an enamel or marble table to cool. (First oiling the table, as a general rule).
- Like taffy you stretch and pull and form into ropes of red and white, now twist them around again and again. And form them into your cane. Now on an oiled surface you allow them to harden