CANDY CORN CUPCAKES
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 (16.25 ounce) white cake mix
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup water
- Yellow and orange food coloring (I like the gel)
- white cupcake liners
- your favorite white frosting (I used the New Cool Whip Vanilla Frosting found next to the regular Cool Whip)
- candy corn pieces
- Preheat oven to 325° for dark coated pans or 350° for lighter color pans.
- Line muffin tins with white paper liners.
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl and beat on low speed for 1 minute then switching to high speed for 2 more minutes.
- Divide batter equally into two bowls. Mix yellow coloring into one bowl of batter and orange coloring into the other bowl. Add until your desired color for each.
- Divide the yellow batter evenly among the muffin tins, which 1 heaping tablespoon or a little less seemed perfect. Repeat the process with the orange batter.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes in the pan and then allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- When ready, frost the cupcakes and garnish with a candy corn.
NotesThese are the show stopper! I made some for my son to take to his work picnic and they won 1st prize! I also gave some to my parents, some to a co-worker of my hubby's and we had some! Got rave reviews all around! Delicious, so cute and fall-ish! Very easy to make and we love the New Cool Whip Frosting so I used that to frost these! One tub will frost 20 cupcakes and it is the best whippy dip frosting I've ever tasted! If you haven't tried it, you need to! I made a frosting for these and I let my cream cheese get a little to soft so it wasn't thick enough for my liking and I was piping the frosting so I used the next best thing in my eyes and I'm glad I did! The frosting I made has sat in the fridge and is perfect now so I think I'll make some brownies and frost them!
Mixing sour cream in the cake mix with very little water (1/3 cup water) made it a little bit thicker than usual but it paid off in the end! The cupcakes were so moist and so much like something you'd get from a bakery! I was very happy with the outcome! These babies would be great for any Halloween party or any fall themed dessert!